Chocolate gets all the love during the holidays, but what about its sister vanilla? Hot chocolate in particular is a cold weather favorite, but I like to stir things up (figuratively and literally) occasionally by making hot vanilla instead. The best part is it’s only four ingredients, not to mention it can be made in the microwave. It even helps me get to bed on sleepless nights, and is comforting as hell.
Also, can we talk about how cute this mug with a little sweater is? Found it at good old Target and had to have it!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sweetener of your choice (I used a Stevia packet)
- 1 pinch kosher salt (just trust me on this!)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Combine all ingredients minus the nutmeg in a small saucepan.
- Heat on high, whisking occasionally until the milk begins to simmer.
- Pour into a mug and top with the nutmeg, if using.
- Combine all ingredients minus the nutmeg in a microwave-safe mug.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Top with the nutmeg if using.
- If you really want to get into the holiday spirit, add a shot of dark rum or brandy!